St. Stephens Lutheran Church has been in the neighborhood for a while. How long? Many families in this area came here more than two hundred years ago; some are still arriving and becoming part of our family. The history of our congregation becomes part of us all.
As the congregation grew, in 1943 it realized a dream had come true by opening a school. The present classroom building was erected in 1986, and the debt was retired within two years. The school, now in it’s 67th year, nurtures children from preschool to 8th grade in Christ Jesus.
In the past, our congregation has shown a special interest in a variety of things, in Biblical teaching, in family activity in the church, in education, participating in our church body, and meaningful worship. Some feel God is calling us to an increased concern for a ministry of outreach and service in our community.
Our congregation is a member of the Southeastern District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Our church body of 2.7 million people has members in 6,000 congregations. We also are involved in mission work in 30 countries.